List of functions & responsibilities of Vigilance functionaries, as the sphere of Vigilance is ever-evolving. An indicative list is as under:
- Undertake prompt investigation of authenticated complaints
- Carry out checks, with follow-up investigations, on serious cases of irregularities, based on source information.
- Ensure speedy processing of Vigilance cases at all stages. Undertake regular review of these cases.
- Ensure that charge sheets are prepared accurately, without any loopholes, and relevant documents are carefully sorted out and sent promptly to the Inquiry Officer.
- Ensure prompt appointment of the Presenting Officer (PO) and the Inquiry Officer (IO) for DAR inquiries.
- Ensure that DAR inquiries are conducted expeditiously by Inquiry Officers, who are under the administrative control of SDGMs.
- Process the IO’s report properly and expeditiously for obtaining final orders of the Disciplinary Authority.
- Maintain close liaison with CVC, CBI and the Department of Personnel.
- Ensure that proper assistance is given to CBI for investigation of cases.
- Undertake review of existing rules & procedures, with a view to plug loopholes and suggest systemic improvements to curb corruption.
- Arrange regular and surprise inspections at sensitive work units, which are susceptible to corruption.
- Monitor adherence to aspects of Conduct Rules relating to integrity.
- Disseminate awareness about Vigilance/ Vigilance Education, through Vigilance bulletins, seminars, workshops, lectures, etc.
The above list is not exhaustive.