The 75th Republic Day Celebrations of Southern Railway were held today (26.01.2024) at the Railway Stadium, Perambur, Chennai. Shri R.N. Singh, General Manager, Southern Railway unfurled the National Flag and took the salute at the RPF Parade on the occasion in the presence of Shri G. M. Eswara Rao , Principal Chief Security Commissioner & IG, RPF.
Shri Kaushal Kishore, Addl General Manager, Principal Heads of Departments, other officers and staff of Southern Railway participated in the celebrations.
While addressing the gathering, the General Manager commended the performance of the zone and highlighted its achievements during the current year. Expressing pride about Southern Railway bagging the Inter-Railway Commercial and Safety Shieldsfor the year 2023, the General Manager mentioned that the Zone has recorded impressive growth in core aspects of functionality like Infrastructure, passenger amenities, safety, Punctuality, loading and revenue. The General Manager appreciated Golden Rock Workshop for receiving the National Energy Conservation Award 2023 from the Bureau of Energy Efficiency. He also congratulated the sportspersons for their outstanding performance in various International and National Sports events.
Excerpts from General Manager’s Speech:
· During 2023-24 till December 2023, Southern Railway’s Gross earnings stood at about Rs.9482 Crores, 5% higher than the corresponding period of 2022-23.
· With 578 Million passengers traveling during the period, SR recorded 13% growth in passenger traffic and 8% growth in passenger revenue during the period.
· Freight loading was 32.24 Million tones registering 8.2% growth while the freight earnings stood at Rs.2912 Crores.
· The doubling projects between Nagercoil Town – Kanniyakumari & Aralvaimoli – Nagercoil Jn, Tirunelveli – Melapalayam, Jokatte-Thokur are progressing at a brisk pace. Chennai Beach-Egmore 4th line, the new line projects between Karaikal-Peralam and Chinnasalem-Kallakurichi, are also in full swing.
· In our mission towards attaining 100% electrification, 91.3% of SR network totaling 4608 Kms has been brought under electrified traction
· In Southern Railway, 93 stations have been identified for upgradation under “Amrit Station Scheme” and Phase I works are progressing at a steady pace. These revamped stations are set to redefine the travel experience of passengers offering facilities at par with world class standards.
· 7 Vande Bharat Train services have been introduced over Southern Railway and these semi-high speed trains are recording good occupancy rates. Further, 90 Vande Bharat specials were operated during the festival season.
· Southern Railway has fast tracked speed enhancement works across its vast network. As a result, during the year, the sectional speed of Arakkonam-Jolarpettai section has been increased to 130Kmph. The sectional speed of 8 sections has been increased to 110 kmph and 12 sections to 110 Kmph
· Prioritizing safety, 32 ROBs/RUBs/Limited use Subways have been completed, 83 nos.of bridges have been completed/rehabilitated and 33 Nos. of Manned LCs have been eliminated
· Owing to the concerted efforts of Southern Railway RPF team, 1215 runaway children were rescued and rehabilitated. 27 precious lives of passengers were saved by RPF during the year
Cultural programmes by RPF, an impressive Dog Show by Southern Railway Dog Squad and performances by various departments including the Railway schools and Ashraya school for special children, followed the Flag Hoisting and March Past.
The Divisional Railway Managers of all the six divisions, namely, Shri B. Viswanath Eerya, DRM/Chennai, Shri Pankaj Kumar Sinha, DRM/Salem, Shri Sharad Srivatsava, DRM/Madurai, Shri M.S. Anbalagan, DRM/Tiruchchirappalli, Dr Manish Thaplyal, DRM/Thiruvananthapuram and Shri Arun Kumar Chaturvedi, DRM/Palakkad unfurled the National Flag and participated in the Republic Day celebrations held in the respective divisions.
Shri Amit Kumar Manuwal, Chief Administrative Officer, Railway Construction Organisation, Egmore, , Shri Samir Dighe, Chief Project Manager/Railway Electrification and Shri Vijayanth Singh, Hon’ble Member/Judicial, Railway Claims Tribunal hoisted the National flag at the respective Railway offices in Chennai.